Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (14): Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to showcase unreleased novels that we're waiting for anxiously. This week I've chosen:
--
Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
Pub. Date: March 8, 2011
Summary: It's hard finding beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming, but 14-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild-girl Mandarin Ramey: 17, shameless and utterly carefree. Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin. When they're united for a project, they form an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and searching for someplace magic. Grace plays along when Mandarin suggests they run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds plaguing their Badlands town. Because all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken, and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, no friendship can withstand betrayal.
--
Why I chose Like Mandarin: The cover caught my eye in its simplicity, and the summary sounded really good. Just another book to add to my ever-growing to-read stack.

10 comments:

BLHmistress said...

I have seen this one around , Hope you get to enjoy it soon.

Our WOW

Sally said...

Sounds like a really good story. Thanks for sharing.
Sally.

Here's Mine: http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday-5.html

Jan von Harz said...

I have had this one pre-ordered ever since I joined the Contemp Challenge last fall. Great pick!

Vicki said...

I really like the sound of this. It's going on my wishlist, thanks!

Naj said...

Sounds interesting! :D


My WoW

Sandy said...

I've heard good things about this. And I've been wondering for the longest time if I should at it to my TBR. Have a great day!

Sandy
My WoW

TheBookGirl said...

I agree, this does sound like a good story...
Hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

Elodie said...

Awesome pick !! =) It sounds really good ..

Anonymous said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday_09.html

Lisa @ Lost in Literature said...

I've seen this one around - looks good! Great pick! :)

Lisa @ Lost in Literature
Here's my WoW

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!