Monday, January 10, 2011

Rogue (Shifters #2) by Rachel Vincent

Title: Rogue
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Shifters #2
Published: April 1, 2008 by Mira
(394 pages, paperback)
Summary: Okay, so cats don't always land on their feet. 
--
I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I've made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I'm working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.
--
But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We re beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear...
--
My thoughts: The Shifters series is one of my favorites, and Rogue was a great installment. Faythe still gets on my nerves more than a bit and I'm still frustrated with the sexism that goes on in these books, but I'm grateful that both of my major issues with the book are actually addressed in this book. Faythe has just gotten back together with Marc, and while they can't seem to take their eyes (or hands) off one another, they also have to find time to be enforcers for their Alpha (Faythe's father). Rogue could be easily described in two words: hot and intense. The romance is still fiery and the action is still extremely entertaining. The mystery revolving around the murders going on in Rogue is intriguing and VIncent does an excellent job of teasing the readers. This book was nearly impossible to put down, too.
--
Faythe is definitely one to speak her mind; that's my favorite of her assets and also the reason I sometimes hate her. Faythe is more than a bit of a hothead and that sometimes makes the reading unbearable; I just wanted to slap her throughout the last half of the book. But I'm also glad that she isn't afraid of speaking up for herself, since a lot of protagonist don't. Occasionally I love the fact that Faythe is stubborn and refuses to bend to the Pride's ridiculous rules. And I'm glad that the sexism the Pride has is a common source of Faythe's frustration, and I can only hope eventually she'll have the power to do something about it. Vincent portrays Faythe realistically (for a werecat, I mean) and even though she has her major flaws, I'll be glad to see her maturing throughout the rest of the series.
--
The Pride members aren't all that well introduced, save for Marc, Jace, and Faythe's father, but I think they are well-placed and well-written. Even though most of book centers around Faythe, each of the characters' have their own distinctive personality and traits. I liked how Vincent incorporated more of Faythe's mother into this installment and I hope she's in more of the following books. The Alpha, Faythe's dad, is still one of my favorite characters, because he's so unwavering and Faythe completely takes after him, even if she hates to think that. As always, Marc is a sweetheart and I loved him, even when Faythe was treating him horribly.
--
The writing in Rogue isn't anything special, but I like how Faythe's voice is so unique and detailed. Sometimes she gets a little annoying with her constant hard-headed personality, but it was still distinctive and felt real. Vincent describes the werecats and the action in a fast paced, dangerous writing style that adds a lot to the overall story line. A lot happens in this book and it was all well-executed and I loved how action-packed the book was. Overall it was a great sequel and a good novel in general.
--
Cover: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Overall rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!