Monday, April 18, 2011

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia #4) by C.S. Lewis

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia, #4
Publication: September 15, 1952 by HarperTrophy
(320 pages, paperback)
Summary: Narnia ... where anything can happen (and most often does) ... and where the adventure begins.
--
The Dawn Treader is the first ship Narnia has seen in centuries. King Caspian has built it for his first voyage to find the seven lords, good men whom his evil uncle Miraz banished when he usurped the throne. The journey takes Edmund, Lucy, their cousin Eustace, and Caspian to the Eastern Islands, beyond the Silver Sea, toward Aslan's country at the End of the World.
--
My thoughts: So basically I'm a big fat liar. Despite saying in my review of Prince Caspian that it was my favorite novel of the whole Narnia series, Dawn Treader is actually my favorite. It's whimsical, beautifully written, and imaginative. Even though not all of the Pevensie children are in this one, I still enjoyed reading (and Lucy and Edmund are in it) about the new characters. The story is symbolic, with simple writing that makes it fun for readers of literally all ages again.
--
The story does read a little like 'this happened, then that happened,' but with a story as amazing and original as Dawn Treader, it doesn't really effect it. The plot is extremely well paced and I was hooked from page one. And the writing is spectacular in its originality and simplicity. Anyone can appreciate a good, old-fashioned adventure. The descriptions are amazingly detailed; the whole book felt like I was with Lucy and Edmund and Caspian.
--
The characters are well-rounded and I like the way the characters change and learn lessons in a simple and whimsical way that makes it a great read for kids. But it's got serious themes and captivating details that make it extremely enjoyable for older readers. It's hard to write long reviews for classics, so I'll just wrap up with this: it totally deserves to be a classic and I'd recommend it to any readers, any age.
--
Overall Rating: 5 stars

5 comments:

Aleetha said...

I do not get any emotion of this book, it might because I read its translation.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book, although The Last Battle is my favourite Narnia book :)

Naj said...

I thought the same thing after I finished this one. I was like Prince Caspian is not my fav Narnia book anymore! I think it'll go on and on until we read the last book and say this one is my all time fav. :D Awesome Review.

Jessica said...

I've been wanting to read this series, but now I definitely think I'll be adding them to my reading lists. Awesome review! Thanks!

http://curledupwithbooks.blogspot.com

Lea Christine said...

I love how everyone has their own favorite Narnia books, and they are all different! My faves are the first one, The Magicians Nephew, and The Silver Chair (I loved Puddleglum the marshwiggle :)

Thanks for the review! This makes me want to read the series all over again :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!