Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
--
This novel was everything I could ask for of YA lit and more. Forbidden love + a love triangle + steaminess + kick ass werewolves = one of the best YA books I've read in a long time. Calla was an amazing protagonist; she was strong and smart and gorgeous with an attitude to match. Ren, the other alpha werewolf she must marry was sexy and had that bad-boy thing going on that I drooled over, while managing to have a human side that actually cared about Calla. And Shay--oy vei, don't even get me started on Shay. He was amazing; funny, smart, strong, and in love with Calla. Even the supporting characters were amazing. Ansel, Calla's little brother, was probably my favorite character; he was so sweet and adorable and I loved the bond he had with Calla. The story line was great; intriguing and gripping and intelligent. Cremer didn't try to baby the audience and take us through things step by step. She plunges you into the heart of the story on page one and keeps going until the last page. There were twists that felt real and yet caught me totally off guard. The only thing I hated was the ending and that's because it was such a cliffhanger. I'll be dying for it to be July all through the winter and spring. Sorry for the extremely short review, but I think you get the gist: I absolutely loved, loved, loved Nightshade and everything about it. Oh, and for the record, I'm most definitely Team Shay.
5 stars and a recommendation to all teen readers. Even if you're not a fantasy fan, you'll probably love it.

3 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

great review!! I agree, team shay! ren is overrated :p hahaha cant wait for wolfsbane!

Dreaming of Ink. said...

The noises on your page scared the hell out of me!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha. I was watching the vampire diaries and all of a sudden I hear '' Help me '', or whatever the voice says. It freaked me out. haha.

Caroline said...

@ Audrey - Me neither! Team Shay all the way.

@ Dreaming of Ink - LOL, it's the countdown to Cryer's Cross widget. I got freaked out when I heard it on someone else's page and just had to put it up on here.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!