Friday, March 25, 2011

Beastly (Movie Review)

I went to see this one a while ago, and I kept putting off the review, because I'm not sure how much I liked the movie version of Beastly. It definitely wasn't bad, and I enjoyed it, but there were parts that made me think it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.
--
First of all, I really like Alex Pettyfer as an actor, despite his distracting, er, attractiveness? Anyway, he was great in the movie; I believed him as both the jerky, arrogant guy and as a remorseful, honestly nice guy. In fact, I think I identified with Kyle better in the movie than in the book. I also really liked that the movie strayed from Beauty and the Beast more than the novel. In a lot of ways, I think the film was actually a little better than the novel. Which is really, rare in book-to-film adaptions.
--
I've never been a fan of Vanessa Hudgens, but I kidn of liked her in the movie. She was funny and sweet and did a good job at being Lindy. At points the romance seemed a little forced, but other than that, her chemistry with Pettyfer was pretty good. Their script was good too. I loved the little moments between the characters, and how it showed their love grow slowly. My favorite part (or character, I guess) was Will. I was a little nervous of Neil Patrick Harris playing him, since he's such a serious and profound character in the novel. However, I loved the hilarious one-liners he got, and I loved how serious he could be.
--
My biggest complaint was how they made Kyle look; he wasn't really ugly. He looked more like a guy who had shaved off all his hair (eyebrows included) and gotten a lot of tattoos. I would've preferred it if he'd looked at least a little more convincing as a "beast." The way it was, it didn't seem like such a stretch for anyone to fall in love with him, even someone superficial.
--
Overall, Beastly was a good movie. Not particularly fantastic, but not bad at all. I'd recommend it to people who enjoy romantic comedy-dramas, with some nice twists thrown in.
--
Rating: 3.9 stars

5 comments:

Liz Tea said...

I thought about going to see this, but no one wanted to go with me, lol! So I'll be waiting for the DVD release. I guess it'll give me plenty of time to actually read Beastly.

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

Definitely seeing this when it comes to DVD! My sister and I are hardcore Pettyfer fans. Haha. :)

Kat said...

I love seeing movies adapted from YA books, but not so much romantic-comedies. (To tell the truth, I can't stand 90 % of them.) But I really want to see Beastly. I like that Neil Patrick Harris is in it-- I LOVE him, and didn't know that. Vanessa Hudgens was in High School Musical, right? Great movie review, and glad you enjoyed it. :)

Sandy said...

Isn't shown here yet but they already got collectible cups with the Beastly poster on it so I know it has to come I just don't know when.

Espana said...

You really saw how much he changed after he became a beast. He used to be caught up on appearances, but in the end, he really becomes deeper. He's nicer and cares less about appearances and more about others. I thought the chat room sections were entertaing if a bit too...out of place. It was a pretty good transition, though. I would reccommend this book to any and all fantasy lovers.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!