Sunday, November 7, 2010

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott


Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.
Once upon a time, I didn’t know how lucky I was.
When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.
Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. 
This is Alice’s story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.
--
Wow. Well, I started this novel trying to stay unemotional, knowing it wasn't going to work. And I was right. By the time I reached page 170 (the last page of this small, incredibly impacting novel) I was clutching the book, holding back sobs. This is the story of fifteen-year-old Alice, who was once someone else, leading a normal little girl life, instead of trapped with Ray, the twenty-something pedophile who says he's there to take care of her, while repeatedly raping and abusing her. I knew the subject matter of this book, and despite Scott's other, lighter books, was prepared for a serious, heavy read. But I was still shocked by how real and gritty this novel got. Not one detail was left out, and all the way to the heart-wrenching ending, my heart was beating faster and faster. Ray was despicable and disgusting in every imaginable way, and while I didn't connect with Alice that much, I sympathized for her, and the pain she endures every day was enough to bring tears to my eyes. All I'm left thinking as I stare at the cover is wow. What an amazing, heart-breaking, realistic, depressing tale. Bravo, Scott, for creating such a great story, and for doing it so artfully. This book is going on my Best Books I've Ever Read shelf. The back sure got it right when they said you would never, ever forget it.
5 stars, and well, I'm not even sure what recommendation to give. Read the back and if it seems like something you could handle, read it by all means.

1 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! Great review! I think I'm going to have to at least put it on my Goodreads wishlist!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!