Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste… 
Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.
--
First off: Ever is one of my favorite characters. I just loved her, despite the little nagging things that weren't great about her. SHe just seemed perfect. Okay, so moving on from my very tiny girl-crush on a fictional character... Damen on the other hand was not one of my favorite characters, and neither was Haven. They kind of bugged me a lot, for very different reasons. In my opinion, this series is more character-driven than plot-driven, since the plot is a lot Twilight-ish. The whole immortal world is basically like every other vampire book, except without the vampires. So why do I love this series? Okay, so a little bit of that is Ever, and a lot of it is the addicting quality Noel captures. Even when I was bordering on rolling my eyes, I was still turning pages. Another thing I loved was how technical Damen gets about how the immortal world works; so many books never bother to go into the details, but Evermore got into the details (as sketchy and nonsensical as they are) and follows the rules strictly. And Riley; gosh where do I start with how much I loved her character. Her story was tragic (I felt so bad she never turned thirteen.. I get way too emotionally involved) and yet I loved how she got to come back and hang out with Ever. Not to dwell on my girl-crush longer than necessary, but I loved how her name was Ever; it was just so pretty-sounding. Finally, the plot moved super-fast, which, in novels where the story-line isn't so strong, is a great quality. Whether she was sitting in class or hanging out with the elusive Damen, everything was at light speed. And lastly, I loved the bad guys (in my opinion, totally bad-ass, in a vampire-esque way), and the ending left me drooling for more. Almost literally. In general, not great, but worth the read.
3.5 stars and a recommendation to Twilight fans (ouch) and vampire fans in general. They're not vampires, but I think they're similar enough.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said this is just like every other vampire book except without the vampires. So true. And so TWILIGHTy, too. I'm not as forgiving as you are, though, because this book drove me CRAZY. It's interesting to see what other people think of it ...

Caroline said...

Yeah, I don't think most people would be. The books aren't great. I'm only so forgiving because the books got me hooked and I guess I've been in need of a light, overdone read.

Kristina Barnes♥ said...

You liked Ever? Surprising. o_o I thought she was annoying and I hated some of the things she did. I do have to agree with you on Haven, though. I could not stand the girl, so help me. I was about ready to smack the living daylights out of her if I could have. Damen, at least, was tolerable.

Evermore reminded me too much of Twilight. Waaaay too much. Some of the quotes inside the book were exact replicas. I think what made me so critical and harsh of this book was that it's set in Southern California, where I live. I felt so cheated by Alyson that she never even bothered to give description to the surroundings of Laguna Beach. The only thing she explained about Laguna was that the MTV show was shot in Ever's school. Really, that's ALL you have to say about it? No ocean descriptions, no descriptions of the mountains looming in the background? She didn't even describe their school. If I wasn't a resident of So. Cal and hadn't of visited the places she mentioned, like Disneyland and the canyon you take to get to it, I would have pictured a big fat blank while reading this book.

Haha, sorry for my mini-rant on your blog. xD Anyway, good review! I'm glad you liked it better than I did. I want to continue with this series, but it isn't on the forefront of my tbr list. :P

Caroline said...

Haha, yeah I know I lot of people that hated the book. I dunno, I'm just a little lenient. I'm not a Twilight fan by any means, so maybe I figured on its own, the book wasnt as bad as people thought. I hadn't really thought about it, but your totally right about the descriptions: they were nonexistent.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!