Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

It's not that far from Evanston to Naperville, but Chicago suburbanites Will Grayson and Will Grayson might as well live on different planets. When fate delivers them both to the same surprising crossroads, the Will Graysons find their lives overlapping and hurtling in new and unexpected directions. With a push from friends new and old--including the massive, and massively fabulous, Tiny Cooper, offensive lineman and musical theatre auteur extraordinaire--Will and Will begin building toward respective romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history's most awesome high school musical.
--
Will Grayson, Will Grayson had me hoping for a great, if light, read. Loving John Green as much as I do, I couldn't help but expect a fantastic novel that left me grasping for more, like Paper Towns or An Abundance of Katherines (both of which are some of my favorite books). But in the end it turned out to be a lot more fluff and comedy than I wanted. And even though I love witty, smart-ass kids as much as the next nerd, I found myself rolling my eyes more than laughing out loud. The story is interesting enough, though it lacked a major direction that I like in most novels. I found some sub-plots useless, in fact, and found one of the Will Graysons just too much and not in-depth enough. The other main characters were definitely one-dimensional and a bit on the annoying side. Especially the self-proclaimed "fabulous" Tiny Cooper, who I found to be a total waste of space. It had some perks to it: the ending I found amusing and fitting; one of the will graysons was funny a lot of the time, and had such a misfit appearance that it made him my instant favorite; and the play that Tiny writes was funny, I hate to admit.


2.5 stars for the effort, guys. I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like a quick-read without much meaning. To each his own I suppose. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!