Friday, October 8, 2010

The Host by Stephanie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.
Our worlds has been invaded by an unseen enemy that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact.But Wanderer the invading "soul" who occupies Melanie's body finds its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who has avoided invasion and lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Soon Wanderer and Melanie--reluctant allies--set off to search for the man they both love.
--
I'm not gonna lie. I've been dreading this review. The Host, by Stephanie Meyer, was most definitely a heavy book. Not just figuratively either. I wasn't expecting such an outstanding read, considering I'm no friend of the Twilight Saga, but oh, my Lord. With so much emotion and information packed into so many pages, this could have easily been a series on its own. Wanderer, the alien host inside Melanie's still-active mind, isn't someone you can connect with without work and patience. At first everything seems so odd, so bizarre, and don't get me wrong, even I had problems following it at points. Melanie, the rebel mind inside Wanderer's new body, is strong enough that even though you'd think you'd feel bad for her, it's more of a cheering on than a sympathy vote she earns. As the book progresses, you see why Wanderer makes the decisions she does, and things definitely get more complicated as Jared enters the picture, Melanie, and now Wanderer's love. Once the human characters are introduced, things get more complex still. There's so much from that point on that I can barely comprehend it myself, let alone sum it up in a few words. Just wow. The ending, while not totally satisfying, took up so little a percentage of the book, that I didn't mind so much the dramatic close. Stephanie Meyer, bravo, this book is one hell of an adventure and certainly one of the most emotional books I've ever read.
5 out of 5 stars, and a HUGE recommendation to any readers, who can handle that many pages with that many words.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy reading y'alls' thoughts and I read all of my comments.

Happy reading and DFTBA. (:

Viewers since October 2010

Blogoversary Countdown

Get your own free Blogoversary button!